Winter Course on Environmental Crimes (16-20 December 2019)
The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) and the Italian Society for International Organization (SIOI) are organizing the fourth edition of the Winter Course on Environmental Crimes, which will take place at SIOI headquarters in Rome, from 16 to 20 December 2019.
The course will provide participants a fundamental understanding of what environmental crimes are and on how law enforcement bodies and judicial systems are responding. The existing international legal framework will be examined with a view to improve participants’ ability to address the issue in a comprehensive way and promote their role as advocates for an effective change in public policies, strategies and practices. More specifically, the curriculum of the course may focus on:
- Existing international legal frameworks to prevent crimes against the environment
- Links between environmental crimes and human rights violations
- Involvement of organized criminal groups in environmental crimes, with a specific focus on trafficking of natural resources
- Waste trafficking and its impact on human health and security
- Wildlife crimes
- Risk analysis of environmental crimes
- Environmental conflicts and justice
- Individual, corporate and State accountability for environmental crimes
The faculty is composed by high level scholars and academics from leading universities and research institutes as well as representatives of the United Nations System and other international organizations.
Participants will have the opportunity to interact with internationally recognised experts, meet peers and build lasting professional relationships with young professionals and students from all over the world. This intense experience fosters intercultural dialogue and a deeper understanding of one of the most serious emerging crime at global level.
|Dates||16-20 December 2019|
|Venue||SIOI, Rome, Italy|
|Application deadline||9 December 2019|
|Confirmation of acceptance||10 December 2019|
|Payment deadline||13 December 2019|
Early Bird deadlines
|Application deadline||30 September 2019|
|Confirmation of acceptance||1 October 2019|
|Payment deadline||11 October 2019|
1. How to apply
- Application deadline: please complete and send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 9 December 2019.
- Confirmation of acceptance: the results of the selection process will be communicated via E-mail, within 10 working days following receipt of the application, and no later than 10 December 2019.
- Payment deadline: full payment has to be finalized within 1 week following to confirmation of acceptance, and no later than 13 December 2019 (i.e. candidates should provide UNICRI and SIOI with proof of payment via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by the same date).
2. Early Bird applicants
A discounted rate, amounting to € 850, is offered to Early Bird applicants. In order to receive the discount, applicants must apply in accordance with the following deadlines:
- Application deadline: please complete and send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by 30 September 2019.
- Confirmation of acceptance: the results of the selection process will be communicated via E-mail, within 10 working days following receipt of the application, and no later than 1 October 2019.
- Payment deadline: full payment has to be finalized within 1 week following to confirmation of acceptance, and no later than 11 October 2019 (i.e. candidates should provide UNICRI and SIOI with proof of payment via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by the same date).
3. Applicants requiring VISA (IMPORTANT)
Those applicants requiring VISA must apply in accordance with early bird deadlines. Please consider that it may take up to 30 days to receive a VISA from Italian Embassies and Consulates, depending on your country of origin.
The Administrative Office will provide assistance in facilitating VISA release for those who need it. For this purpose please ensure that section F of the Application Form is properly completed.
- General: € 950
- Registration fees for Early Bird applicants: € 850
- SIOI students and alumni: € 800
Registration fees do not include additional expenses such as those related to travel, meals, accommodation, and VISA.
5. Cancellation and Refunds
In the event of a participant cancellation for any reason, including VISA denial, registration fees will not be refunded.
6. Entry requirements
The course is designed for university graduates in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Social Science or other relevant disciplines, and for young professionals working in governmental institutions, local authorities, international organizations, NGOs or the private sector seeking to deepen their understanding of environmental crimes.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Hold at least a three-year university degree issued by an internationally recognized university in one of the aforementioned areas.
- Have a very good working knowledge of English
7. Certificate of participation
Upon attendance of all the lectures and completion of the course, participants will receive a UNICRI and SIOI certificate of participation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com (please indicate “Environmental Crimes” in the subject of the email)
UNICRI: Tel: (+39) 011 6537 195
SIOI: Tel: (+39) 06 69207838 // 51 // 52