UNICRI and the Italian Society for International Organization (SIOI) are organizing the sixth edition of the Winter School on Environmental Crimes, which will be delivered online, from 21 to 25 November 2022. The course will provide participants a fundamental understanding of what environmental crimes are and on how law enforcement bodies and judicial systems are responding. The existing international legal framework will be examined with a view to improve participants’ ability to address the issue in a comprehensive way and promote their role as advocates for an effective change in public policies, strategies and practices. More specifically, the curriculum of the course may focus on:
- Environment and geopolitics
- The concept of environmental protection and its evolution
- Existing international legal frameworks to prevent crimes against the environment
- Links between environmental crimes and COVID-19
- Involvement of organized criminal groups in environmental crimes, with a specific focus on trafficking of natural resources
- Waste trafficking and its impact on human health and security
- Wildlife crimes
- Risk analysis of environmental crimes
- Environmental conflicts and justice
- Individual, corporate and State accountability for environmental crimes
The Winter School offers professional, legal, social, scientific and academic perspectives through live webinars, group discussions, dynamic case studies, individual readings, and practical exercises. The faculty is composed of leading scholars and academics from leading universities, representatives of the United Nations system, international human rights bodies and the civil society.
Through a dedicated online platform, participants will have the opportunity to interact with international recognized experts and peers from all over the world, so to build lasting professional relationships. This experience fosters intercultural dialogue and promotes a deeper understanding of some of the world’s most complex and debated issues.
Deadline for application: 13 November 2022
For more information, please click here
Photo credits: @Mario La Pergola