In cooperation with the Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court
The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), in cooperation with the International Criminal Court Office of Public Counsel for the Defence (ICC-OPCD), is organizing the Tenth edition of the International Criminal Law Defence Seminar which focuses on the main issues and strategies related to the field of defence in the international criminal law. The Seminar will be held at the UN Campus in Turin (Italy) from 11 to 14 April 2022 (application deadline: 29 March).
The four-day seminar will cover all aspects of international criminal defence. In particular, it will cover aspects related to the functioning of the defence teams and Court offices, the lawyer-client relationship, the defence ethics, the strategies of the case and the investigations, the mechanisms behind plea negotiations, the structuring of legal arguments, considerations in trial proceedings, detention issues and the post-trial phase. Topics will be presented in a highly interactive and dynamic way, enabling participants to acquire practical skills that can be of immediate use in daily practice.
The Seminar, led by renowned experts, represents a unique opportunity to acquire a deep understanding of defence within the framework of international criminal law.
Course topics include:
- Basic principles of International Criminal Law
- Punishable conducts and modes of liability
- Introduction to the ICC Rules of Procedure and Evidence
- Introduction and overview of International Criminal Defence
- Defence Counsel qualifications and training - setting up a defence team
- Lawyer-client relationship Defence investigations and strategies
- Sources of case law
- How to structure and present legal arguments
- Direct and cross-examination by the Defence
- Execution phase
The trainers who will be delivering the 2022 Seminar are:
- Ms. Marie O'Leary, Counsel, Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court (ICC-OPCD)
- Mr Michael Herz, Legal Officer, Office of Public Counsel for the Defence of the International Criminal Court (ICC-OPCD)