One in five girls and one in thirteen boys globally have been sexually exploited or abused by the age of 18, according to UNICEF, with online interactions featuring in some form in almost all cases of child sexual exploitation and abuse.
In 2020, UNICRI’s Centre for AI and Robotics and the Ministry of Interior of the United Arab Emirates launched the AI for Safer Children initiative in an effort to tackle child sexual exploitation and abuse online through the exploration of new technological solutions, specifically artificial intelligence (AI).
The initiative strives to support law enforcement agencies to tap into the potential of AI and has designed the AI for Safer Children Global Hub – a unique centralized and secure platform for law enforcement agencies – to support them to do so. The Global Hub contains extensive information on AI tools that could be used to combat child sexual exploitation and abuse and provides guidance on how law enforcement can use it in the course of their work in an ethical and human rights compliant manner.
Watch the short video below to learn more about AI for Safer Children.
AI for Safer Children ultimately seeks to contribute to realizing Target 2 of Goal 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which envisages an end to abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence and torture against children.
The development of the AI for Safer Children initiative follows an ethical and legal process and is guided by a set of seven core principles, which you can find in the related documents section below.
Related News and Articles
- New video! Investigative Workflow to Counter Online Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Child Protection and Artificial Intelligence on the Agenda as Advisory Board of the AI for Safer Children Reconvenes for Second Meeting
- Technology providers convene to share their views on the AI for Safer Children initiative and its Global Hub of AI tools for law enforcement agencies
- Sixty talents, 10 challenges and 5 months to disrupt and build a better future
- First Stakeholder Meeting of the AI for Safer Children Initiative
- Advisory Board for the AI for Safer Children Initiative Convenes Virtually
- Child Sexual Exploitation Online: The New Face of the Menace and How to Fight it with Artificial Intelligence
The Core Principles of the AI for Safer Children initiative
Terms of Engagement for Law Enforcement users
Terms of Engagement for Technology Providers